Co-op Student of the Year Award
The EWO Co-op Student of the Year Award recognizes the achievement of one University student and one College student engaged in Co-op Education.
The Co-op Student of the Year Award is presented to one student attending a university and one student attending a college, who have showcased exceptional job achievement, extra-curricular involvement, and a strong contribution to Co-operative Education.
The winning student receives an award of $750.
Are You Eligible?
To be eligible for the Co-op Student of the Year Award you must:
Be a full-time student in an undergraduate, graduate, diploma, advanced diploma, or certificate program at the institution.
Complete the nominated work term within the calendar year.
Have completed co-op work terms that meet EWO/CEWIL's Definition of Co-operative Education.
Be nominated by an individual from an EWO member institution or a participating co-op employer.
EWO requests that each institution or employer nominate no more than two candidates.
Selection Points Criteria:
Nomination Package Checklist:
*NEW* for 2023: Online Nomination Form.
The nomination information required is essentially the same as previous years:
- including contribution to Co-op
- Student Reflection on Co-op
- Student’s Current Resume
Co-op work terms/experience should be clearly identified and noted with work term dates. Extracurricular and community activities, scholarships and awards, etc. should also be noted. (2 pages maximum)
- Student’s Portfolio (Optional)
Any items that will provide a better idea of who you are as a person. You may submit photocopies of articles, employer evaluations, letters of recommendation, published work, awards and citations, etc. (2 pages maximum
- including feedback on performance and contribution to the co-op experience.
All nomination materials must be submitted digitally no later than January 31, 2024.
To nominate, please submit the required information via the Google Form (gmail account required): https://forms.gle/7isQx6ZZJHW8Xk7W7
Instructions For Submitting a Nomination
Please cover the following points in your statement. Where possible please be specific in your examples and offer any insight you may have on the student’s work habits and character:
- The student’s duties/responsibilities incl. any responsibilities/tasks given to the student outside of their basic duties based on their performance in the role
- The student’s performance in comparison to your expectations or in comparison to other co-op students
- Any outstanding work achievements (cost savings, process/quality improvements, design/development innovations, improved customer service, significant research or other initiatives etc.)
- How this student, or co-op students in general, have benefited your department/company
- The student’s achievement in the co-op program such as:
– creating marketing/promotional materials
– participating in networking/recruitment events
– serving as an ambassador for the institution and department
– acting as a mentor to other Co-op/WIL students
– creating / strengthening existing Co-op/WIL opportunities
- Any achievements, awards, and extracurricular activities that you feel are worthy of mention; the student’s activities in support of co-op education; any insights on the student’s personal qualities you feel warrant consideration
Important: Ensure completed co-op work terms meet EWO/CEWIL’s Definition of Co-operative Education.
- Involvement in Co-op – including your reasons for participating in Co-op
- Career Development – How this Co-op experience has enhanced or impacted your overall career development
- Academic Development – Including how this Co-op experience has enhanced or impacted your current academics; and
- Personal Development – How Co-op/WIL has enhanced your personal development
- Community Involvement – How you have been able to give back to your community